Speaker: Dr. Aditi Desai
Lecture: The Holobiant. The importance of treating oral dysbiosis
Our bodies are colonised by microbes that are almost equal to our body cells in numbers. They have evolved through millions of years to exist symbiotically in a healthy relationship with the host. This plays a significant role in the host physiology and health. Deviation from this equilibrium can have detrimental effect on the host’s oral and general well-being. Diseases of the oral environment, caries and periodontal disease are a result of such dysbiosis. For clinicians and patients alike, maintaining or returning the oral microbiome to its original equilibrium can help restore oral health and in turn, help control the impact of oral dysbiosis on general health.
- Improved understanding of the holobiont – current and future implications for clinical practice
- Appreciate the mechanism by which oral dysbiosis impacts systemic health
Speaker: Dr Biswajit Chakrabarti
Lecture: Upstairs-Downstairs: The relationship between oral health and Pneumonia
Worldwide, Pneumonia represents a significant source of morbidity, mortality and emergency hospitalisation. The presence of poor oral health and dental disease is known to predispose an individual to an increased likelihood of developing Pneumonia. This webinar will first focus on the epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis and management of Pneumonia in clinical practice. It will then detail those factors that predispose an individual to develop Pneumonia and will go on to discuss key interventions that may reduce the likelihood of developing Pneumonia. There will be an emphasis on how the presence of suboptimal oral health may increase the risk of pneumonia and what evidence-based strategies may be incorporated by healthcare professionals to optimise oral health so as to reduce such a risk.
- A detailed understanding of the definition, pathogenesis, management and prevention of Pneumonia
- To understand the linkage between suboptimal oral health i.e. upstairs and the risk of an individual developing Pneumonia i.e downstairs
- Holistic management to reduce the risk of an individual developing Pneumonia including a focus on oral health