MODULE 1 IMPLANT
Basics of Implantology
Programme outline: Implant market, osseointegration, treatment alternatives, treatment planning and patient selection, basic surgical techniques and protocols. Hands-on training: surgical techniques and medico-legal aspects of implant dentistry.
- Introduction and welcome
- Implant market and trends in implantology
- History of osseointegration. Factors for achieving successful osseo integration. Bone physiology
- Treatment alternatives: evaluation/comparison pros and cons implants vs conventional treatments
- Treatment planning and patient selection: indications and contraindications, medical history and medically compromised patients. Medications, smoking, and drugs basic periodontal examination. Clinical photos. Radiographs, clinical examination. Model making and diagnostic vax-up. Surgical guides. Pathology in soft and hard tissues, TMJ and bruxism. Aesthetic considerations, resorption, biotype, jaw relationships, high/low smile lines, presurgical treatments
- Basic surgical techniques
- Basic anatomy of head and neck
- Pre-post-operative medication
- Local anesthetic techniques
- Flap design and raising flaps
- Hands-on training: raising flaps and suturing “pigs” feet
- Hands-on training: treatment planning.
- How to prepare for implant surgery
- Aseptic surgical techniques: clean vs sterile techniques
- Treatment room and equipment
- Pre-surgical wash
- Draping and gowning up
- Postoperative breakdown, cleaning, and sterilisation
- Pre- and postoperative information
- Implant surgery protocol: step-by-step
- Live surgery demonstration: hands-on surgical techniques: installation of implants using plastic models.
- Photographic technique
- Radiographic technique: theory and indications
- Loading protocols
- Stents and guides for surgery
- Medico-legal aspects of implant dentistry
- Literature studies
- Checklist: what is needed for optimum treatment plan and treatment of your own patients?