At the end of this lecture registrants should be able to understand:
- The importance of less chair side time in the Post COVID-19 era
- Benefits of avoiding extensive & expensive bone grafts
- Benefits of immediate function
- How site specific implants can optimise immediate function
- How site specific implants can optimise immediate facial cosmetics
For the Post COVID-19 pandemic era, it is more important than ever before to limit to chair side clinical treatment time and possible exposure to the deadly virus, both for the patients as well as for the treating.
By avoiding excessive bone grafting with the use of Site-Specific implants placed in available native bone, the gain in time for the patient also implies an economic & time benefit which is important especially for professionally and/or socially active patients.
High treatment acceptance and patient satisfaction are the most important advantages of this protocol.
Site Specific implants include:
Coronal “body-shift” design implants which allow a greater gap distance for blood clot formation and eventually new labial bone formation. This predictably & reproducibly results in better soft tissues support, papilla preservation and ultimate aesthetics. Simultaneously the wider apical end, ensures high insertion torque values at the time of implant placement for immediate function.
- 12 & 24 degree angle correction implants allow for sub-crestal angular correction and for screw retention
- Short and narrow implants are also used in atrophic bone ridges.
- In severely atrophic upper jaws, Zygomatic Site-Specific implants can optimize maxillary implant treatment as an alternative to lengthy and complicated multi-surgical sinus elevation procedures.
- Utra wide diameter molar specific implants can be placed into immediate molar extraction sockets thereby also avoiding bone grafts.
This concept is in line with the late Professor P.I. Branemark philosophy of “lesser surgery to treat more patients”.