Sleep deprivation for whatever reason effects all of us during various stages of our lives, and this is a topic where each one of us is the patient… it effects our families, clinical teams and patients who attend our clinics. As clinicians we must appreciate how we feel has a major influence on our ability to manage a successful clinical workflow and provide care for our patients,
We demonstrate the importance of good Sleep Hygiene and role it plays in the prevention of Sleep Disordered Breathing (SDB) …Snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnoea.
In the lecture patients describe in video testimonials the life changing effects they experienced when their SDB was successfully managed, including the use of Mandibular Advancement Appliances ( MAD).
Successful outcomes are achieved with good clinical workflow and case studies to show the importance of:
- Patient screening for SDB
- Sleep studies
- Clinical examination protocol to that highlights patients who are suitable for MAD.
- Alternative treatment options such as CPAP and surgical options
- Clinical digital workflow
- The ideal features of a MAD
- Choosing the best MAD for that individual patient
- CAD CAM appliances
- MAD fit and follow up
The lecture will emphasise the speaker’s experience to deliver a completely digital workflow that combines clinical use of the Carestream Dental CS 3600 intra-oral scanner with its Multiple Bite Capture feature and the delivery of CAD/CAM appliances.
At the end of the session participants should be able to appreciate:
- Explain the aetiology of Sleep Disordered Breathing – from snoring to Sleep Apnoea
- Explain the role of the GDP in screening patients for Sleep Disordered Breathing and managing a pathway of care
- Discuss types and selection of Mandibular Advancement Appliances with patient case history presentations
- Discuss consent and medico-legal considerations
- Discuss digital workflow in Dental Sleep Medicine